"Mind Your Body" 1998 (Set Design for TV)


"MIND YOUR BODY" had been a health-based infotainment program, which required a set for the show compares to introduce the malady of the moment, before cutting to pre-edited video (news) packages.

According to my studio floor plan (for Studio 5, where the set was based in, as was "Good Morning Singapore"), this program was for 1998, and had been one of my favourite sets (of this scale done) to have designed for, in my short 4 and 1/2 years career with the Television Corporation of Singapore.



Above: Initial sketch, still mindful of what folks could/can accept...
Below: I let go once the parameters widened, and am thankful the producers gave me their trust!



I had been able to conceptualise and design what I had envisioned for the set, as complete as I had been able to, including the giant print out of surgical items (which I literally stepped into an actual surgery department of a hospital to personally take pictures of, to use for printing), and of being able to evoke the mood I had hoped for, in sync with the lighting department's excellent work!


And one particular aspect of the set, that folks might not have known, was the usage of the "surgery lighting lamp" on set - which initially proved to be a challenge from the Props Department, but when it came, it calmed my heart and when colored gels and the lamp was sparked, it quite literally lit up my spirits too.


Regrettably, the (low-res) images shown here were of the lighting test, and was to me the optimum effect and environment I had hoped for, but understandably was brightened during recording, as we do need to see the compares, and provide a brighter and more "positive" outlook to the program, if memory serves.

Cheers
Andy Heng

View this post on Instagram

#TBT... that one time I scrubbed in and performed a miracle surgery that made my parents proud of their first born, NOT! #waitlonglong Nah, my parents never gave me pressure to aspire to vaulted occupations such as “lawyer” or “doctor”... although when I told them I’d wanted to be a “comic book artist”, it might have disappointed a lil’...? I’ve never asked them about it years later, but I knew they’d supported my decisions when one day my late dad bought me a book on Ma Wing-shing; the creator of “Fung Wan” aka #TheStormRaiders manhwa, and I was touched beyond grateful at their support ... *tear* ... although I never did turn out to be either a successful comic book artist or a surgeon, did I? ... #FAIL :p #henglifesg P/S: this snap should be taken circa the mid-90s-ish, when I went recce and entered an operating theatre to glean inspiration for a studio set design for a health talkshow named “Mind Your Body” for the #televisioncorporationofsingapore :)

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on


Above snap of myself scrubbing in, to enter the facilities, to take pictures of their equipment, some of whom are seen printed out enlarged on my own set. Regardless of how my actions had been viewed (for being "too engaged in my own work") by the powers that be, THIS is the very least of what designers are supposed to be doing, IMHO.

Popular Posts