Set Design: Silver Screen Awards 1997

I'd only just discovered today that the 34th Singapore International Film Festival is in effect, opened November 30th, and ending December 10th. Further details on sgiff.com.

This came as I'd just published a lookback at Cinema Ticket Stubs for SGIFF past festivals (1997, 1999, 2000 & 2001), and thought would be an opportune time to showcase my Set Designs for the 1997 Silver Screen Awards.



"Introduced in 1991, Silver Screen Awards is the first international competition with a category dedicated to Asian cinema.
The event spotlights filmmaking talents from across Asia, with a focus on Southeast Asia. Many of the awardees and nominees have since established themselves among the region’s most prominent filmmakers."
. (sgiff.com)




The venue was the Stamford Ballroom at Westin Stamford, and is considered a O.B. program ("Outside Broadcast"), and is one of the handful of times I'd designed for a event/program outside of TCS' internal studios. Having started on my SGIFF-adventures none too long ago, with dreams of "making films" brewing oil my mind, I undertook this project with glee and excitement!



I remembered designing for the set based off a somewhat lower uniform height ballroom ceiling, and decided to go "wide" (ala a "widescreen cinematic"), to cater to audience views on location, versus the 3X4 camera view broadcasted on national television.

The theme decided upon was a somewhat glamorous and opulent gala, with overt tones of "Art Deco"-movement, and generous usage of the color "gold", which would not look at good on-camera, but I had attempted to work with the lighting designer, to create something that could both withstand a full-on floodlight(s), because everyone wanted to see the talents/awardees clearly, and also provide the ability to be lit up effectively for stage performances.

I have small low-res images to share here, and hopefully ne day I'll able to excavate the photos themselves to scan/create larger versions of, cheers.



Featured below are select looks at my documentation for the show:



Another thing which proved to be a "design miscalculation" on my end, was designing the main stage flooring, with a somewhat complex Art Deco-eqsue filigree blossom at the video screen area, to specifically cater to the jimmy jib camera (for top-ish shots), which I do not remember seeing much of in the final broadcast, alas.

Check out images uploaded on this dedicated Facebook album, cheers.



Years later I would be involved in another project related to SIFF, with 2003's two-episoder "Reel World" for Arts Central, produced by MegaMedia. I had the opportunity conceptualise and create the opening title sequence(s) and camera direct the episodes, which alas zero visuals or videos to show for now. I am pretty proud of what I did too, if memory serves...

Cheers,
Andy

P/S: The following were listed on wikiwand.com as awarded in the 1997 Silver Screen Awards:

Best Asian Feature: Gabbeh (Iran, Mohsen Makhmalbaf)
Special Jury Prize: The River (Taiwan, Tsai Ming-liang)
Best Director: Wu Tianming, The King of Masks
Best Actor: Miao Tien, The River
Best Actress: Machiko Ono, Suzaku (Japan, Naomi Kawase)
NETPAC-FIPRESCI Award: 12 Storeys (Singapore, Eric Khoo)

Singapore Short Film Category:
Best Film: Beansprouts and Salted Fish (Chee Kong Cheah (CheeK))
Best Director: Norman on the Air (Wee Li Lin)
Special Jury Prize: Absence (K. Rajagopal)
Special Achievement Award: Beansprouts and Salted Fish (Chee Kong Cheah (CheeK))

Popular Posts