Set Design: STAR AWARDS 1998




Watching the recent Star Awards 2023 reminded me of that one time I designed for the annual awards show, in 1998, before I had left the broadcasting station. Who am I kidding, every year's Star Awards reminded me of my glory east days of television stage design! BUT, this year was different, as it was the first time I had shown my mum the images of my stage design, and also re-recognizing not everyone has immediate access to "Facebook" (Which my virtual portfolio exists)! So here we are / here I am, pimping my past on this blog, cheers.

Apologies in advance for the low-res images, as I do not have the tangible photo prints of all images, which I could reproduce here, cheers.



ABOVE: From Presentation drawings, to documentation and floor / layout plans. This project was assigned to me, helmed by Channel 8 Variety production (hence my name is credited in Mandarin/Chinese), for which I'd completed a few larger=-scaled variety broadcast shows that were the highlight of my Set Design tenure at TCS, before I left.



One aspect of the final set design, was the recycling/"upcycling" of partial sets from another program (not of my own design) - something which in my earlier days had been against, but gradually embraced the notion, as it added to the set beyond the budget if I were to make them from scratch, and always provide a physical value to the space, IMHO. The hanging light-fixtures, the light-pillars, and even the base(s) of the awards presentation stand were recycled in this regard.

BELOW: Images I have retained from slides and photographs taken of printed photographs, all images for which first posted on andyhengart Facebook, cheers.



For years I'd not been able to secure any moving visuals that showed the set (not everyone'll believe in "wide establishing shots" LOL), but perhaps I should have searched in further detail...! Here are a few finds, with glimpses of the set, cheers.









And bless Star Awards 2019 for their "flashback" to 1998, so I could see more and clearer images of the set!





Popular Posts