National Day MV 1999
On the eve of Singapore's National Day (August 9), I take a look back into the year 1999, for when I was involved in a (official) National Day music video, directed by Tsui Hark!

Produced by HYPE Records, with post by VHQ, I remembered distinctively accepting the project when William Chang* was mentioned to be the Production Designer (*my idol whom has worked on numerous Wong Kar Wai films OMG)! Alas he not able to make the project, afters I had signed on. I was the Art Director (SG) for the exceedingly short pre-production and intense 4-day shoot. At the very least I could say I had a chance to work with esteemed Hong Kong director Tsui Hark!
ABOVE: Only visual "proof" of me on-job ~ LOL
BELOW: Only visual "proof" of my physical contribution to the shoot, with my own hand-written sign (obviously req aired last-minute, scrawled on a compress-poly used for art ~ LOL

The most memorable part of this project - for me personally - was physically drawing storyboards alongside the director himself, literal moments just before he went out the door for a local press conference, right outside that door!
Uploaded here are just some select drawings (not shown in sequence here), which were split between himself and me. Gotta respect a director who is able to visualise and do his own boards…!
ABOVE: Tsui Hark drawn storyboard sequence
BELOW: Screen-grabbed images from MV
ABOVE: Tsui Hark drawn storyboard sequence
BELOW: Screen-grabbed images from MV

The 1999 National Day Parade Theme Song "Together (心连心)" is performed by Evelyn Tan and Dreamz FM, all of whom appeared in the MV.






