MAKING 5KINGS: Of Sacred Hills & Temple Grounds
In my continued look into my designs in MAKING 5KINGS, I will now focus on a few select individual scenes, and the pre-production design and creation process I had gone thru for the short film "Five Kings", starting with the very first scene/setting on the script, dubbed "Sumantra Sacred Hill / Temple Grounds".

In the earlier script, "Sumantra Sacred Hill" (SSH) was the opening scene preceding the "Temple Grounds" (TG / which I had featured HERE previously) and were two separate settings/scenes, with a span of journeying-time separating them.
In the final script and shoot, both "SSH" and "TG" was incorporated into a single setting (sort for two scenes, showcasing different times).

With the storyboards roughed out (reproduced above, for reference), we delved into what the director had wanted to see in the background(s), and we co-sketched that out in our meetings.
I am always looking forward with discussions with my directors and as well D/Ps on what they see, want to see and I aspire to be able to provide that, and as well propose what I/Art Department can do to enhance the project.
Otherwise it would mean a static set I provide, and folks just film around what had been given to them, so "conversations" need to happen, I have always insisted. But I also understand perhaps that's what some folks would prefer as well. Sometimes it is not necessarily about "locking in" or cornering your choices, IMHO.
But I also recognize this might not be a "luxury" that folks could have the opportunity for.
MY director for Five Kings was clear in what she wanted to see, and I had proposed the setting, while bearing in mind the VP-visuals on screen - referenced with stock images the director has pulled up and referenced, but unconfirmed at time of discussions. I will not show them in full, as they are copyrighted to their respective owners, thanks.

Seen up top are sketches both the director and I had doodled out together. One thing to note was, in all initial production and set designs, I had wanted the entirety of the sets/settings to be on a (fixed) raised stage / platform (2 feet up(ish), like an island), and that we could maneuver around and on it. This plan fell through due to logistic and of course, costings.

Seen directly below were my first package pages set share with VP-post to showcase both the space we were looking at, and as well for costings.

Shown above is a reconstruction of the set/setting after combining both "SSH" and "TG". The way I design this was while the main floor was within shot(s), the leaves peaking out on both sides would serve for mid-shots and possibility of tracking left-to-right visa versa, without the ground needing to be used/dressed up - one of the main reasons why the storyboard was helpful top extract the visuals needs, without compromising the entirety of the set/settings and costings to have them fully done up. Basically stretching the budget, or at least that was the "plan".
Seen below are select pages of the sign package, which gave a bit more information of the gateways, and what they actually were, which alas had been "lost" in the final film screened without context given.









