#KISSESFROMDEATH: Sketching Questions (ANATOMY OF ART: KFD)

andyhengart KISSES FROM DEATH The Script 03


And while I've featured a glimpse in my initial script breakdown, shown here is a selection of the assorted sketches doodled within the lines of the pages, living a analog life in a digital world!

andyhengart KISSES FROM DEATH The Script 04


Caveat: All sketches seen here are the first time I've shown to anyone besides myself, not even to the director or production team. These are my initial first impressions based on the script, what I saw at the sole location recce.

Consider these as "sketched questions", meant to explore what I've read, in an attempt to find a cohesive "answer", if not aesthetically then conceptually, all of whom is the start of designing any project I am involved in. Consider these "Round One", cheers.

KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Damien's Room
KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Caleb's Cage 01

The existence of "Caleb's Cage" was an important "cue" for me, as it was something that might point to where the design direction of the project would take, and how "far" I could take the notion of it's existence in this tale of revenge and redemption ... which ultimately turned into him being tied to a existing pillar instead.

KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Caleb's Cage 02
KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Caleb's Cage 03


At this time I was also aware than I was engaged as a "Art Director" for this project, and what I had pursued doing might be going beyond what was required (and I was made aware of that too, as pre-production went along) ... but the "Production Designer" in me kicked in, irregardless, and this would be a process for me to need to go through, cheers.

If you've watched the series, you might recognise some of the sets/settings, and more likely they'd have since changed to the final 8 episodes, be it due to concept befitting the entire story as a unified whole, or the age-old "budgetary reasons".

KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Knife Throw 01

Similar to "Caleb's Cage", the design for the "Throwing Knives" scene was something I felt would tip the art direction the project would take. Something "louder" than expected would have given it the "drama" (just so happens "Caleb" is going thru both ordeals) ... which we ultimately went toward a decidedly subtle, non-committal aesthetic.

KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Knife Throw 02
KISSES FROM DEATH andyhengart Knife Throw 03


The "answer(s)" to my "sketch questions" will morph and evolve/devolve through the process during pre-production and maybe even during production, as clarity of script is achieved (or sometimes even not), design and art direction communicated and approved from director(s), do-ability confirmed with the Art Department and builders, within the allocated budget, of course ... *innocent-smile*

andyhengart KISSES FROM DEATH The Script 02
Kisses From Death andyhengart Clock
andyhengart Kisses From Death Truth or Death 01
andyhengart Kisses From Death Truth or Death 2

Popular Posts