Designing for SONG OF THE STORK



I had been the Production Designer for SONG OF THE STORK / VU KHÚC CON CÒ (2002), with this feature film executed entirely in Vietnam, with a all-Vietnamese Art Department, whom I was told "did not speak English". This barrier in language was also one of the main reasons why I decided to create and produce these drawings.

Translated-Vietnamese was indicated and annotated on said drawings, for what I had wanted to convey in terms of basic design and requirements. The team was in turn to expand on my basic designs, with authenticity, character and unique charms as only Vietnam could convey, instead of a "outsiders perspective" (AKA my own).

One of the greatest irony was, no other drawings were created for this project, from my Set Designer and rest of the crew, as they just progressed with my drawings alone. My Art Directer did paint an impressionist oil painting of one of the sets though.

All the drawings and designs were created in Vietnam, on and off for approximately 4 months, for the pre-production period, after location recces and discussions with the directors.

The drawings were then presented to the Art Department, when they were engaged to the project, and we moved forward from there. Looking back, I've not seen any of my drawings in the hands of the team though, understandably so, as every progressed based on what was available and achievable, I suspect.



This was also one (of two) projects in my short-lived career, that I did not have a production budget to work with. As the production progressed, a lot of my designs were not wholly translated, be it in scope or depth, to which I attribute the lack of funds needed.

Be that as it may, seen in the folder, and images reproduced below, is a glimpse at what I had hoped to achieve, cheers.

In time, I hope to focus on specific sets and scenes individually, once I can sort out the related imagery.

andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Sketches 1
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Trail
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Temple
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Cave Hospital
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Colonel's Home
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Ho Chi Minh Office
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Hoai Bombeb House 03
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Hoai Bombed House 02
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK Hoai Bombed House 01
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK VINH'S ROOM 1
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK VINH'S ROOM 2
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK VINH'S ROOM 3
andyhengart SONG OF THE STORK VINH'S ROOM 4

Popular Posts